Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Started

How does the service work?

Once you purchase a package, you will be asked to fill out a simple questionnaire with your basic information, which we will then use to autofill all of the forms you will need to update your name. We will then provide you with these forms, along with detailed instructions on how to complete and submit each of your required name change applications.

Here at UpdateMyName, we do not collect sensitive information (i.e. Social Security Number, Driver’s License Number, or Passport Number), so we will indicate which fields on the form still require your attention, as well as where to sign and date each form. Furthermore, for any forms that require submission via mail, we will provide you with the address to which the application must be sent.

Are there any additional fees?

The only fee you will be charged by us is your one-time package fee ($39 to $99). All additional fees are paid directly to the state or government agency where you are updating your name.

For name change updates on driver’s licenses, each state requires a fee that is typically around $10-$35. If you are applying for a passport for the first time or are renewing a passport over a year old, there will be a $110 fee paid directly to the State Department. For the majority of the other name change updates, there is no fee.

Does work in my state?

YES!!! UpdateMyName works in all 50 states, including Washington D.C., and the package you purchase will be customized specifically for you and your location.

Will I be required to submit any application in person?

U.S. identification laws changed post 9/11, and the DMV now requires in-person visits in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Typically, all other updates can be submitted via mail, fax, phone call, email, or online portal.

However, there are a few exceptions. Due to the large volume of name changes that occur in their area, there are some counties across the U.S. that require in-person submission of your Social Security name change application. If you live in one of these counties, we will provide you with that information when your purchase your package.

Additionally, you must apply in-person for your U.S. Passport if: you are applying for the first time; your passport has been lost/stolen; or your current passport has been expired for more than five years.

Will my name change affect my upcoming travel?

When traveling, please keep in mind that the name on your ticket MUST identically match the name on your photo ID. If you’ve booked a trip in your maiden name, please wait to submit your forms for the photo ID you will be using to travel (i.e. Passport, Driver’s License, State ID, etc.) until after you have returned from your trip; otherwise, you will not be able to board your flight.

Marriage Certificate

Marriage License vs. Marriage Certificate

The Marriage License is the document you receive PRIOR to your wedding that will allow you to get married. The Marriage Certificate is the document you will receive in the mail approximately two weeks AFTER your wedding that proves you are married. Your Marriage Certificate is the document you will use for changing name.

What is a certified copy of my Marriage Certificate?

A certified copy of your Marriage Certificate is a DUPLICATE Marriage Certificate that is issued directly from the county that issued your original Marriage Certificate. Your name change applications will NOT be accepted if you attempt to use photocopies or notarized photocopies, as these are NOT considered certified copies.

Where can I get a Certified Copy of my Marriage Certificate?

To request certified copies of your Marriage Certificate, you will need to reach out to the county in which you were married. Please keep in mind that there will be reprinting and shipping fees for this request.

MISC Questions

How does your Satisfaction Guarantee work?

We want you to be 100% satisfied with the service we provide you!

If for any reason you are unsatisfied, please contact us within 30 days of your purchase and we will gladly issue you a refund.

How secure is UpdateMyName?

Since information security is of utmost importance to us, we DO NOT collect any sensitive personal information from you (i.e. Social Security number, Driver’s License number, Passport number, etc.). Rather, when you purchase your package, we will provide detailed instructions as to where you will need to manually enter that information prior to submission of each name change application.

Do I need name change forms to hyphenate my last name?

YES!! You must notify the U.S. government AND your state of ANY change of your last and middle names, including hyphenation, based upon marriage. Our service will assist you in this process.

Can you help change my first name, or get a new last name?

For name changes, Marriage Certificates are extremely limited in their scope. Your Marriage Certificate will only allow you to update your middle or last name to any combination of you and your spouse’s current last names.

In order to begin the process of changing your first name or creating a new last name, you will need to visit your county clerk and file a name change order, which will require you to appear before a judge.

Once you have made your appearance and the judge has issued a “Name Change Order,” you can use it in place of your Marriage Certificate when submitting the forms that we provide.

Get started today!

Personalized name change kits starting at just $39.